The history of the Fischbachsmühle at Lauenstein.

The Fischbachsmühle is located at the river Loquitz, close to the confluence of the eponymous Fischbach. The premise belongs to the district of Lauenstein. It was founded in the second half of the 17th century. The mill premise must have been built in 1656, as in the so-called “Erb –und Salbuch” (the oldest preserved land register) from the year 1656 was not yet registered.
1685
a gentleman called Caspar Müller, was named Müller zu Lauenstein. The Fischbachsmühle might have been a cutting mill by than, as in a formal job description from 1697, a cutting mill was registered in the name of Lauenstein. As all other cutting and flourmills on the Lauenstein premises were registered on the name “Neuhüttendorf”.
1738
Johan Georg Müller, Fischbachsmüller – owned an oil and flour mill, each one with a gear and adjoined stables and barn.
1741
In the list of subjects a widow of Hanns Georg Müller in Fischbach was mentioned.
1808
an administrative clerk of the regional court of Lauenstein, descriped the Fischbachsmühle, with a an overshot oil and flourgear, as “insignificant”.
1832
In a formal description of the district court the Fischbachsmühle is described as “Flour and cutting mill with 6 inhabitants and 1 family”.
1857
In the newly drafted land register of the kingdom of Bavaria, the premises is described as “residential residence with stable, flour and oil mill, barn, courtyard and additional house”.

The premises was extended end of 19th century.
1901
The land register cites: residential residence with cutting mill in four gears, stable, barn, basement, additional hose with baking oven, courtyard and carriage house.
1905/06
a new residential house was built.
1909
Construction of a new and modern weir with moat located by the river Loquitz.

In the time before the 1st world war the mill was modernized and expanded to a “Kunstmühle”.
1914
Construction of a new mill building and a storage shed. Installation of turbines for the usage of self- electric energy. It might be possible that the Fischbachsmühle was connected to the electric power supply of Probstzella (Franz Itting Werke) already in 1909/1910. Itting built a high-voltage transmission line from Probstzella across the Falkenstein to Steinbach an der Haide.
1921
Construction of the big silo.
1922
New Building of a domestic and economic building, courtyard and car port by the river Loquitz.
1923
Construction of a “petrol house” and a transformer Installation.
1924
Construction of an annex office and residential building to the mill and silo.
1926
Replacement of the wooden millrace through solid and modern concrete.
 
With this step the extension of the premise came basically to an end.
The Fischbachsmühle has been turned into one of the most modern mills in the region.
 
By than, the mill was owned by family Müller for almost 250 years.
 
As a result of the economic crisis in 1929 the business has faced economic difficulties and declared bankruptcy.
 
1932
at an auction the municipality has bought the premises.
1934
the brewery and hotel-owner Karl Schreider vom Falkenstein
(also owner of the neighbouring premise) bought the Fischbachsmühle. Schreider continued the milling business.
1958
the milling business and the building itself , the Fischbachsmühle, closed down.
Since 1964/65
handmade pralines are created in the former Mill and Silo of the Fischbachsmühle. The business was named “Pralinenboy” and the manufacturing of pralines was registered as of 1st of January 1965.
1989
Rebranding and change from the company “Pralinenboy” to the brandname Confiserie Burg Lauenstein, Lothar Feddrich & Dr. Kaub Ltd.
1992
Legal change into Confiserie Burg Lauenstein Ltd. Those specialities, which have been produced for more than 60 years by than, are worldwide know and traded as “Lauensteiner Pralines”.
2008
New opening - Fischbachsmühle

After extensive modernization the day has come: The doors of the Fischbachmühle open and everything is nicer, bigger and so much more delicious.

The factory outlet with the longest praline counter of Franconia is paradise to gourmets and people with a sweet tooth. So is the Café and the transparent manufactory.